Friday, May 30, 2014

weekend pleasures

Can you believe we are almost at the middle of the year already? May has just flown by. I'm looking forward to a relaxing weekend to recharge. We were lucky to have a holiday on Thursday and today is a "bridge" day as they say in German - schools are closed making it feel like a 4-day weekend.
What good things are on your list this weekend?

When was the last time you really pampered yourself and allowed yourself some little pleasures?

My long weekend began with a soak in the bath with Himalayan bath salts I recently bought. And a nice hair mask. And a tall latte in my favorite cup. Ah...heaven!
I've already hung up the laundry to dry in the sun, so after this post I'll be off to the farmer's market for veggies and then to the garden center to find a few flowers for my window boxes.
If I'm lucky, I'll carve some time out to retreat into my studio and play with my paints and fabrics. Strike "If I'm lucky"- let's say, "If I'm determined". Finding quiet time in a large family is a real challenge for me.
The weather is supposed to be great so there certainly will be a few hours dedicated to getting some exercise outdoors. Maybe a hike or a bike ride or both with my husband. I would love that. We will certainly check on our bees. My husband is really getting into this new hobby which makes me so happy for him. I still find beekeeping a bit complex. Not the bees but all the things that could go wrong - a swarm, losing the queen, mites, etc. So far, so good. Have you ever seen this movie? The photography is fantastic and it will get you thinking, too.
We will definitely be picking strawberries which are now ripe and abundant in our garden patch.

Sunday mornings I love a calm, spiritual service in my church. Nothing revives me more for the coming week. The last weeks I've missed it and it really makes a huge difference. It's a bit of a challenge now with the bees, since Sunday morning is a good time for us to check them. But balance is always a question of priorities, isn't it.
My daughter  - as you know if you follow my blog - is our resident baking goddess. Her latest act of perfection is this Amaretti Cheesecake. Try it. It's melt-in-your-mouth heavenly amazing!
A moment to cozy up on the sofa or out in the garden to read is one of the greatest pleasures. This is the book I'm reading right now - my mom gave it to me - I just adore Mireille and have most of her books and cookbooks. Visit her site for lots of European inspiration. I'm also looking forward to this book I ordered a few days ago, it just looks gorgeous. (I have to admit, this is certainly a case of judging a book by it's cover, but this time it is the pretty pictures and recipes I'm after!) And after a bit of reading, there is nothing like a lovely nap. My cat always knows a good thing. Although I doubt I'm going to lay down right under the roses and lavender!
Not least on my weekend list is finding a moment with each of my children - just him or her and me. Not a "helping with homework" moment, but a small talk, a little tickle or silly game we play, a bit of our own special communication. Not only is that a pleasure, but I believe it is a treasure for us both.

I hope that you have a list of good things for yourself, the things that bring you pleasure, that recharge you and make you happy.
 
There are times when it seems like you don't have even a spare moment for yourself because you are involved in too many events or responsibilities. One of my own biggest barriers is not being too busy but feeling guilty about it. But I have found that even if it is just one small thing you must do it. You will see circles of happiness spreading around you like ripples on the water, bringing joy to not only to yourself, but to those around you.

 Happy weekend!
xoxo 
Karen

No comments: