Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Sewing with Amy Butler: Sunday Sling

This was my big Amy Butler project from last summer, the Sunday Sling. This bag was a lot of sewing but so worth it!
My mom gave me a few yards of these gorgeous teal/aqua/green Amy Butler fabrics a few years ago and I just couldn't bear to cut into them. I couldn't decide if I would use the material for home decor project or a tunic or maybe a bag. Such a dilemma. I finally decided I really needed a great tote bag and purchased the Sunday Sling pattern, only to realize I still needed a half-dozen different types of interfacing. I probably could have found the interfacing here in Germany but my sweet mom has a great shop in her town so she sent them to me right away.
This bag took me several hours on two weekends for sewing. There are four interior pockets and two small exterior pockets - or the other way around, as it is reversible. All the interfacing makes it super sturdy and I love the finished details and especially the cute tied handles.
Lots of  pockets are great even though I know if I put my keys in one, I know I'll have to check all four before finally locating them! The bag proved perfect for our trip to Belgium last summer - both for the beach (towels, sun lotion, sea shells) and for city touring (bottle of water, camera) - and at home I have it in use all the time for daily errands, shopping, library books, etc. The colors are just my favorites and it looks especially great when I wear brown, green or aqua shades. It also matches the pretty bracelet my mom gave me when I turned 40 not so long ago (!!). Moms just know best don't they!
 
As a scrapbooker, one of my goals is to make more pages about me (not easy!) to squeeze in with all the kids and family themed pages, so I made a page in my 2012 album about this project.

My final project is something from this summer (wow!) that my daughter and I made together. I'll be back soon to share!
Thanks for looking!
 xoxo 
Karen

6 comments:

greenrabbitdesigns said...

Gorgeous bag Karen, the colours are beautiful! :)
Love your bracelet too, happy belated birthday!!!
V xxx

Dagmar said...

Just gorgeous, and match your button bracelet so well..
Happy September!
Sweet hugs,
Dagmar

nest full of eggs said...

Your bag turned out great. Can't believe it's completely reversible, what a bonus.
I love your shirt and coordinating bracelet and you even found some matching scrapbook paper!

Anna-Marie Field said...

Hi Karen,Lovely bag and beautiful colors!!!Love your bracelet!!!Did you make it yourself?!!
Have a great day!!!
Love
AMarie

Laura said...

Gorgeous fabrics and really lovely bag. What a great job you did sewing it! You have a lovely blog here. :)

Thanks for visiting my little space on the internet and for leaving such sweet comments.
xo
Laura

Janine Marques said...

Hello, katie i´m a follower of your blog, just love to see your post´s, the decoration is very vintage and soft, you are an artist :) ...
If you like to visit my blog is secretfromthesea.blogspot.com it will be nice and if you like just leave me a comment :)
Hugs
Nina