Monday, May 7, 2012

may marriages (made in heaven)

culinary marriages, that is!
and in this case, it is a bit of a menage a trois!
yes, you may have guessed

strawberries
rhubarb
asparagus

oh delicious!

i read in the newspaper this morning that local strawberries will be appearing in stores by the end of this week. our strawberries are starting to flower. i'll be very busy soon!

this is our garden right now. my husband has been doing a great job of keeping it neat and already starting new rows of lettuce. (he's way ahead of me!) you can see the strawberry plants dominate. perhaps you can also spot the rhubarbs with their huge leaves in the back.

yesterday my daughter helped me make a strawberry-rhubarb cobbler. i took the rhubarb from our garden (the people that owned this house before us planted them who knows how many decades ago, along with the walnut tree I mentioned here. the rhubarb comes up like magic every spring!)

we used the recipe from the joy of cooking cookbook - this is it. we did not randomly cover it with the dough as described in the link but made little flat balls. this is what it looked like before baking...
if i am not in such a rush next time i would like to roll out the dough and slice into strips to make a pretty lattice cover. this is so delicious and there is plenty of rhubarb still in the garden, we may just have it again in a few days!

for perfect harmony serve with vanilla ice-cream!

another local delight here is white asparagus. twice a week during may and june a little truck drives through our neighborhood selling it fresh from the fields. my kids may not be thrilled but it's on the menu again this week and i can hardly wait!

seasonal cooking really helps answer the never-ending dilemma of what to cook tonight...what's in season for you this week?
xoxo
karen


6 comments:

greenrabbitdesigns said...

Oh you're making my mouth water Karen!!
Strawberries, rhubarb and asparagus are three of my favourite things, mmmm.
Your cobbler looks absolutely delicious. :)
Thanks for 'dropping' in, I'll 'see' you have my hols!
Vivienne x

Monica said...

I love rhubarb! It's no exactly in season here yet, but I am hoping soon, that recipe looks delicious!! And thank you for the book suggestions on my, blo, I'll try and get a hold of these.

nest full of eggs said...

your strawberry rhubarb cobbler looks yummy !
I need to plant some rhubarb some where in my yard...

Bronwyn said...

Oh! That cobbler looks amazing!! Rhubarb isn't quite ready here yet, but it won't be long. I am already hankering for for straw-rhubarb pie. Mmmm....
Your garden looks so lush! We haven't even planted yet here in my part of Canada.

Ivy Clad said...

You have my mouth watering for a piece of that cobbler! I'm going to have to look up that recipe tomorrow and give it a shot!

Now that I'm feeling better, I'll have to go back and catch up on your posts that I've missed! So talk to you again soon!
Keri

Mervi said...

Rhubarbs and strawberries are my favorites and the cobbler you made looks so GOOD!!! Have to try that as soon as I'll get some rhubarbs from my garden (still have to wait for a week or two).