Tuesday, April 24, 2012

brownies

Saturday I baked brownies to take to my son's class family hike & picnic. 
They always disappear quickly. I decided to bake another batch just to enjoy here at home on Sunday! There are still a few left...I'm afraid my husband hasn't even got one yet. Perhaps it's time to bake another batch for him to take to work :)
Once you have your ingredients out the brownies are simple and fast to make.
I need a bit more time since I crack the walnuts from our tree, but with good music playing and a few little helpers it's fun work.

They taste the best with a glass of milk or hot chocolate. Add a sprig of chocolate-mint to make them pretty!
Everyone always asks me for the recipe so I have gone and done my best at translating it into German. I have a favorite American recipe I picked up somewhere in my teens and have been using ever since. I also converted the temperatures and re-measured the amounts from cups into grams. I know that German bakers use "vanilla sugar" rather than vanilla extract. If you are not able to get the pure vanilla, I would suggest using less white sugar and adding a packet or two of vanilla sugar.

Try not to over bake, they are better when a bit goey and slightly underdone!
Here is the original recipe in English and my German version:

Brownies

1 1/3 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup butter
1 cup cocoa
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
¼ cup milk
1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped walnuts
Confectioners' sugar

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9 x 13 x 2 inch baking pan. Set aside.
In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. In a medium saucepan, melt butter. Add cocoa and stir to blend. Pour butter-cocoa mixture into a large bowl. Blend in sugar with an electric mixer. Add eggs, and continue blending. Add flour mixture, and beat until smooth. Blend in milk and vanilla: stir in walnuts. Pour into prepared pan.
Bake for 25-30 minutes. Brownies are done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out almost clean. Let cool in pan. If you like, sprinkle a little confectioners' sugar on top. Cut into 2- by 3 inch pieces before serving. Makes eighteen.


Brownies

160 g Mehl
1 Teelöffel Backpulver
½ Teelöffel Salz
225 Butter
100 g Kakao
400 g Zucker
4 Eier
75 ml Milch
1 ½ Teelöffel Vanillie
1 Becher gehackte Walnüsse
Puderzucker

Ofen auf 180° C vorheizen.

Backform (ca. 23 cm x 33 cm x 5 cm) einfetten.

Mehl, Backpulver und Salz in einer kleinen Schüssel mengen.

In einem Topf Butter schmelzen lassen. Kakao dazu geben. Die Masse in eine große Schüssel gießen. Zucker dazu geben und mit dem Handmixer zusammenmengen. Eier dazu geben und weiter rühren. Mehl dazu geben, weiter rühren bis eine glatte Masse entsteht. Milch und Vanillie dazu geben, Walnüsse einrühren. Die Masse in die gefettete Backform eingießen.

20 bis 30 Minuten backen. Die Brownies sind fertig, wenn man in der Mitte ein Zahnstocker einsticht und es fast sauber herauskommt. In der Backform kühlen lassen. Evtl. mit Puderzucker bestreuen. 

Enjoy!
xoxo 
Karen 

9 comments:

greenrabbitdesigns said...

Thank you for sharing your delicious recipe Karen! I haven't baked brownies in absolute ages, I must give them a go soon.
I think it's brilliant that you go outside into your garden and pick your own walnuts, wonderful!
Thank for your lovely comment yesterday and have a fantastic Tuesday.
Vivienne x

Mrs. Sutton said...

Just one word - WOW! I have never actually baked brownies before, but - apart from the Walnuts (..and from your own garden - amazing!) - I have everything else in my cupboards - so here goes - thanks for the recipe!x

Judith said...

The chocolate brownies look delicious.
I might try baking these.
Thanks for the recipe Karen :)
(My sweet tooth husband will be very pleased
i read your blog tonight!!)

nest full of eggs said...

yum !
bon appetit !

Bronwyn said...

Oh! I haven't made brownies in ages. you may have just inspired me to do so , soon! I never really like walnuts, but for some reason I really like them in my brownies. Mmm....

Thanks for visiting my blog and for your lovely comment!

Bronwyn (Queen B Creative Me)

illustration poetry said...

ohh i like brownies too!!!
in my country there is another recipe for brownies, it is steamed :D
i dont know if you have ever heard of this, you can see the recipe here:

http://homeresto.wordpress.com/2008/03/04/steamed-brownies-brownies-kukus/

goodmoments said...

this looks delicious and yummy!

madhu said...

Delicious Karen! I bake brownies quite regularly too! Thank you for sharing! The big secret to perfect brownies as you so rightly pointed out is "not to over bake, they are better when a bit goey and slightly underdone!". Have a great day :-)

Mervi said...

Brownies are a favorite in my family!!! I have to try your recipe one day.