Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Vanilla-Yogurt Pound Cake

 My daughter baked this for us last week and I meant to blog about it right away, but then thought I would save it for Valentine's day, since she used the heart cake pan. The recipe is from her new book "Veganomicon" that I mentioned recently. Very moist and very delicious! Can you believe this has no eggs or butter or cream? I can't! But as objectively as possible I want to point out that this girl has a special baking talent. :)

We have tried out so many recipes from this book already  - last night we had the Spinach Noodle Kugel and Lentil Salad with Sunshine Pineapple & Carrot Spice Muffins for dessert. I spent hours in the kitchen! Some days my vegan daughter has to suffer with our non-vegan meal and be happy with toast and peanut-butter. I'm not a restaurant. But I want each family member to have a chance to have something they request, even better when they are really involved with preparation. The Spinach Kugel was so delicious! My littlest son hates spinach but was able to eat a whole slice thinking it was herbs. (sigh....I admit that for good intentions I do lie to my children sometimes!) I'm sure I will bake it again. (What I really liked about it was that it was satisfying but not heavy)
I'm not really a big Valentine's Day person. I know I'm not going to get any flowers or notes from my kids or husband. It's not really celebrated in Germany and my hazy childhood memory of all classmates giving and receiving little paper Valentines is tinged with a slight feeling of insincerity. Those little boxed card sets did have a wonderful stationary scent though. I still love cutting out little paper cards and notes! 

I think in the end, it is better to simply show our love to others in sincere little gestures, acts or words. Every day. 

xoxo 
Karen

PS But why not bake a heart-shaped cake anyway!

5 comments:

greenrabbitdesigns said...

Haha Karen, sometimes you have to lie in a good cause!! :)
The cake looks wonderful,your daughter definitely has a baking gift!
And even though you don't celebrate it, Happy Valentine's Day!
Vivienne x
P.S.By the way I love your blog banner, the colours are gorgeous. :)

nest full of eggs said...

looks like a yummy cake

memmu said...

Yummy cake... can't believe it didn't have any eggs, butter or cream!!! I'm sure you're very proud of J... I'd sure love to have a daughter in the house as with 3 guys, I'm the cook in the house. Although... I have to admit that K does all the cooking outside by the grill in the summer. Except that I do the salads and such.

And yes, you're so right about the fact that it's much better to show our love to others every day... in what ever way we can think of... and not just on that specific day. I made a few cards for friends (still unsent though) and bought some chocolate for family... as I baked at the weekend. So... not much celebration over here either.

ps. those felt apples are great!!!

tinajo said...

That looks really nice, may have to try! :-)

Ivy Clad said...

That sounds & looks really good to eat... right now!

Keri