Friday, October 21, 2011

Ladybug Kisses or My etsy!


Today I have really exciting news to share with you. This week I finally opened my Etsy shop!

It's been something I've been wanting to do for a very long time now...
really since I was a little girl even before etsy or the internet was invented I've wanted to make and sell things. I remember loving it when my mom or grandmother took me to small art galleries. I just delighted in all the whimsical, lovely creations. Sometimes simple things that seemingly have little function other than making a person feel joyful in their heart and putting a smile on their face. 

Spreading joy. 

While other children sold lemonade, I used to paint pictures and set up art galleries. I was always making things. But then I grew up and started to let the sound of other voices influence me on my way down life's paths....until I came to a new fork in the road and decided it was time to truly follow the path that not someone else wants for me, but the one I chose a long time ago.

I'm so glad I did! 

Stocking a real shop with my first wares of paper and cloth is so fun it feels like playing. I am enjoying the whole process, creating something with my hands, taking the photos, writing descriptions (and thinking, yes, I will start translating all of this into German....soon!), and then wondering...will someone stumble upon this in our endless cyberspace universe and think, what a perfect gift for so-and-so? Or for myself? The wondering is not awful like I expected but rather exciting!

I've named my shop

Katie-
(after my lovely daughter who inspires me with her kind and youthful spirit)

Claire's
(after my beautiful mother who inspires me with her gentle and kind ways)

Cottage
(which to me is not just a cute little place but
a simple and humble place
a place that is warm and cozy
a place that overlooks a lovely lake
a place that can weather a storm
a place that has old bones and creaky wood and peeling paint
but always gets dressed up for the holidays
and receives a fresh coat of color now and then
a place where stories are read to children
and family and friends fill the rooms with
laughter and love and light
and delicious food, of course
a place surrounded by gardens of flowers and trees
where stars above sparkle at night
a place to drop your anchor
and feel safe to dream your dreams)

I would be so honored if you stopped by to take a look at my shop! I am really quite grateful that the chance is just there for the taking to set up shop among so many talented artisans and crafters. You will find my sweet and simple fabric and paper creations and without giving to much away, I will hint that there is more to come! 
 
 

 I have to tell you that it has just been one small step and I am still taking lessons in courage and in listening (and trusting) my own voice (maybe we all are?) But a little thing happened to me at the beginning of this week that I wanted to share with you. Fall has arrived here in Germany with frosty temperatures, but during the day the sun comes out and was warm enough that I was out in the garden hanging laundry. A tiny buzzing creature flew smack into my cheek and instinctively I flung it off, which I then of course regretted. There, on my son's pajamas, had landed a little ladybug. I thought of my last post about ladybugs, Mary, the Beatles and so on. I've put that CD in the car, the one from 1967 that starts with “Back in the USSR”. That has become my music theme of October. It's almost become a broken record. If I'm not playing “Let it Be” on the piano, then my daughter is. And every time I chauffeur a child from here to there, we hear it again. It's been the cause of a few little history lessons, in which I have to explain things like “broken records” and “USSR” to incredulous little ears. But I digress!

It's time for new music, and I think that little ladybug smack was really just an encouraging kiss of good luck.

Wishing you ladybug kisses and a lovely weekend!
xoxo


Karen

5 comments:

Daniela- Craftando said...

Oh Karen, congratulations!!!!!!
I checked out your etsy store. The things are just soooo cute!!!!
Wish you lots of joy on this process! :)
xoxo
Daniela

Romi and Bob said...

Hi, just found your blog via flickr. Good luck with the etsy shop. I've just begun mine too. xxx

nest full of eggs said...

All the best to you on your new adventure ~ I really like the name of your etsy shop, you picked a good one... now I am off to visit Katie Claire's Cottage & add it to my favorite shops :)
I hope you & your family have a great weekend !!

Karen said...

Thank you all so much for your supportive comments! Good luck to you too Romi and Bob, I'm off to find your shop now too :) K.

millefeuilles said...

Dear Karen,

You have a beautiful blog and I wish you all the luck with your Etsy Shop. I am certain it will be a complete success.

Greetings from France,

Stephanie